Punchestown Day 2 & Alan Potts Blog uploaded - Punchestown Festival Day 1 uploaded - Weekend Race Previews uploaded - World Snooker Preview in General Sport, Mark Ball Blog & Premier League Darts (Thurs) uploaded - Scottish National in Ante-Post Focus uploaded
Each month I run a sports quiz at Kettering Rugby Club. Here's the November questions. Please drop me an email if you require the answers.
General Sports Knowledge
1. Which guest with 18 appearances has appeared most on A Question Of Sport?
2. In a greyhound race of eight dogs, what colour jacket does number 7 wear?
3. Who is the only Liverpool player to have played every minute of all 11 Premier League game this season?
4. Las Vegas will take over which NFL franchise in 2019?
5. Who won this season’s cricket county championship?
6. In Ten Pin Bowling after what bird is making three strikes in a row called?
7. How many Olympic gold medals has Ben Ainslie won?
8. Which country will host the next Rugby Union World Cup?
9. Which striker and goalkeeper are currently appearing in the Head and Shoulders Ultra Collection TV advertisement?
10. Who is the current Tennis Men’s World Number 1 ranked player?
In The Last Month
1. Which snooker player was banned for six months for gambling on snooker matches including those in which he participated?
2. Who was crowned champion jockey for the 2017 Flat Season?
3. Which state hosted the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix?
4. It was announced that how many cyclists would make up a team in next year’s Tour de France?
5. Football - Who managed the England Under 17s to World Cup success?
6. Against which team did Scotland lose 74-6 in the Rugby League World Cup?
7. In which Midlands city is the Grand Slam of Darts currently taking place?
8. After their defeat to Arizona last weekend, which NFL side is currently 0-9 for the season?
9. Who top scored for England with 63 runs in the first innings of their defeat of Cricket Australia X1?
10. Which greyhound track is currently hosting the Puppy Derby?
1. Which country whose international dialling code is 00 7 were beaten in the final of the European Football Championships in 1972?
2. In Goldfinger in which sport did Bond play for a solid gold bar?
3. Was Sean Connery offered a trial with Celtic, Rangers or Manchester United?
4. In Die Another Day in which Olympic sport does Bond defeat the North Korean warlord, Gustav Graves?
5. What is snooker player Nigel Bond’s nickname?
6. What former cricket commentator shares the same surname as with a character in seven Bond movies?
7. In Skyfall which British racecourse masqueraded as Shanghai Airport?
8. In which Winter Olympic sport saw Bond take on a group of communists for a microchip in A View To A Kill?
9. On which river does Bond become embroiled in a powerboat encounter/race in The World Is Not Enough?
10. Since 1992, how many racehorses have been named Miss Moneypenny - 3, 5 or 7?
1. How many players are there on a polo team?
2. Over which two months will the Burghley Horse Trials take place in 2018?
3. Which famous show jumper is the father of a leading jumps horseracing trainer and jockey?
4. At which American racecourse did The Breeders’ Cup take place last weekend?
5. The famous chariot race sequence in the 1959 film Ben Hur starring Charlton Heston took nearly a year to complete was filmed in which city?
6. The French term dressage translates to what in English?
7. In which city does the most valuable trotting race in the world take place?
8. In what year was the first official rodeo tournament held in Wyoming – 1842, 1872 or 1902?
9. Who rode Deister to many big show jumping titles in the 1980s?
10. Shergar was kidnapped from Ballymany Stud in 1983 from which Irish county?
The 50-50 Round
1. True or False? At the start of their careers the Williams sisters didn’t play exhibition matches as it was felt they would take away from the intensity levels when playing professionally?
2. Longer or shorter? Bob Beamon held the World Long Jump record for 20 years.
3. John McEnroe and Peter Fleming won the Wimbledon Men’s Doubles title on five occasions. Who is the older?
4. Faster or slower? The world record time for a 5f Flat race is 55 seconds.
5. Taller or Shorter? The former World and Olympic High Jump champion Javier Sotomayor is 6ft 6ins?
6. Which university has won The Boat Race on most occasions?
7. Dead or Alive? The three-time Olympic gold medallist and six-times World Skiing champion at various disciplines between 1966-68, Jean Claude Killy?
8. According to Forbes, whose net worth is the higher – Floyd Mayweather or David Beckham?
9. Phil Taylor retires from professional darts at the end of next month’s World Championship having won higher or lower than 200 professional tournaments?
10. Whose Edinburgh ground has the bigger capacity, Hibs or Hearts?
Managers & Coaches
1. Sir Alf Ramsay won the championship with which club before taking over England?
2. Between 1979-1985, which team did England’s World Cup winning coach Clive Woodward play for?
3. Whose record of head coach Super Bowl appearances did Bill Bellichick beat this year with 7?
4. Which Australian coach has worked with four world number ones; Ivan Lendl, Lleyton Hewitt, Patrick Rafter and Roger Federer?
5. Which coach rebuilt Nick Faldo’s swing which helped him to win six major championships?
6. Who was the England coach in their defeat of Australia in the 2005 Ashes Series?
7. What position did Jose Mourinho play professionally?
8. The BBC Sports Personality Coach of the Year award was inaugurated in 1999. In which sport since then did the award go to a German?
9. For how many years did Angelo Dundee trained Mohammed Ali – 16, 19 or 22?
10. In which country was Mo Farah’s ex-controversial coach and x3 New York marathon winner Alberto Salazar born?
1. Who finished runner-up in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 2016?
2. Who in finishing second in the US Open golf in 2017 thus completing the grand slam of runner-up positions in all four Majors during his career?
3. Which team lost four consecutive Super Bowls in the 1990s?
4. Seabiscuit won the famous head to head horse race in 1938 which a film was then made of? Which horse, who started favourite, did he upset to win the great match?
5. Which team have been beaten on their last five appearances in the final of the Champions League/European Cup?
6. How many times was Jimmy White runner-up in the World Snooker Championships?
7. Which horse has finished second in three of the last four Champion Hurdles?
8. Which F1 driver holds the record for the most World Championship runner-up positions having done so on seven occasions? (Michael Schumacher)
9. Three people have won 6 Olympic silver medals, Shirley Babsahoff in swimming, but in which sport did Mikhail Voronin and Alexander Dityatin also win six silvers?
10. Who did New Zealand beat in the first final of the Rugby Union World Cup in 1987?
General Sports Knowledge
1. Which former world tennis number one is married to Bastian Schweinsteiger?
2. Which word meaning ‘Belonging to All’ in Latin is a multiple race event in cycling?
3. Paul Foster won his fifth world title since 1998 in which sport this year?
4. Which sports stadium has the biggest capacity in the southern hemisphere?
5. Lieke Martens won which award in August?
6. Michael Phelps has won 23 Olympic gold medals. Larisa Latynina, Paavo Nurmi, Mark Spitz and Carl Lewis are in joint second place on how many?
7. Which Pakistani bowler was nicknamed The Rawalpindi Express?
8. According to Forbes, who is the richest sports person, now retired, worth $1.31 billion?
9. After nine years of consecutive different venues, which arena will host the BBC Sports Personality of the Year for the second year running next month?
10. Which football team does AC/DC front man Brian Johnson support?